This summer is set to be a scorcher, with recent heat indices in the triple digits.
"You start feeling zapped out. A lot of people don’t have any energy at all, and they think they’re starting to get the flu or something, when in reality, they’ve just been out in the heat too long," Capt. Robert Ruiz said.
That’s why several organizations around town are teaming up to help our elderly neighbors by collecting fans and other cooling systems.
Capt. Ruiz explained why the higher temperatures are more dangerous for senior citizens.
"We can moderate our temperatures well, but the very young and the very old have a difficult time transitioning. You know, we can acclimate to temperatures like this in maybe two weeks time, but not the elderly and very young. They struggle with it," Capt. Ruiz said.
Last year’s "Cool Corpus Christi" fan drive brought in more than 100 donations, and getting involved is simple.
Just bring a 16 to 20-inch box or oscillating fan to one of the 14 drop-off locations listed below:
- Grande Communications 6441 Saratoga Blvd., Corpus Christi, Texas 78414
- Lindale Senior Center 3135 Swantner St., Corpus Christi, Texas 78404
- Greenwood Senior Center 4040 Greenwood Drive, Corpus Christi, Texas 78414
- Garden Senior Center 5325 Greely Dr., Corpus Christi, Texas 78412
- Ethel Eyerly Senior Center 654 Graham Rd., Corpus Christi, Texas 78418
- WellMed at Six Points 1661 S. Staples St., #160, Corpus Christi, Texas 78404
- WellMed Shoreline 1215 Santa Fe St., Corpus Christi, Texas 78404
- WellMed at Northwest Blvd. 13725 NW Blvd., Suite A, Corpus Christi, Texas 78410
- WellMed at Wooldridge 5846 Wooldridge Rd., Corpus Christi, Texas 78414
- WellMed at Morgan 2922 Morgan Ave., Corpus Christi, TX 78405
- WellMed at South Alameda 3262 S. Alameda St., Corpus Christi, TX 78404
- WellMed at Crosstown 2634 Gollihar Rd., Suite C, Corpus Christi, TX 78415
- WellMed at Cabaniss Field 3434 Saratoga Blvd., Corpus Christi, TX 78415
- South Coast Family Medicine 4458 S. Staples St., Corpus Christi, TX 78411